Tuesday, September 22, 2009

One Man's Junk is Another Man's Treasure

Yesterday I decided to clean out my food storage area in my basement. As a scoutmaster I live by the Boy Scout motto of "Be Prepared." This means I have a store room of about two to three months worth of food. The idea is that if there is a major snowstorm or a swine flu outbreak that causes me to be quarantined, I won't run out of food.

I started organizing things and realized that I was running low on a few items. My only problem was that spending a bunch of money to augment my food storage is not in the budget this month. So I decided to try an experiment. I set the goal to raise $50 from some other means than my usual computer consulting. At the end of the day I wanted to be able to add $50 of canned goods to my existing supply.

I knew I had a set of old studded snow tires in my garage taking up space. The car they were used with was sold a while ago and so I decided to list them on an online site. I first thought about eBay but didn't want to pay their fees nor did I want to have to worry about shipping them to some far-flug location. I thought about craigslist because it is free and has the ability to define items by location as well as category. In the end I decided on KSL which is a local news company that has TV, radio, and web outlets. They allow you to post classified ads for free. More importantly they are generally only used by people in my geographical area.

I logged onto their website and saw that they currently have close to 3,000 wheels and tires listed. My heart sank. Who was going to look through that many listings for a pair of old snow tires. I decided to give it a try anyways.

I went to the garage and pulled out one of the tires. I made sure to hose it off so it looked clean. I let it sit in the sun while I ate lunch and then took a picture of it with my iPhone. I made sure to get in close so you could see the condition of the tread as well as the gnarly metal studs that really grip the ice. I pulled the picture off my iPhone and shrunk it down to 640x480 pixels using Gimp (KSL's requirement for picture sizes). Then I attached the photo to my ad where I talked about how those tires could climb a greased telephone pole. I then went back to work with crossed fingers.

At 7pm last night I got a call from a guy looking for tires for his daughter's car. I explained that these tires had been used for my daughter's Buick and that they were very safe when driving in the snow. With all the skiing we do, we never got stuck with those tires. An hour later he came by the house, looked at the tires, and paid me with cash.

As soon as his car was down the street, I jumped into mine and headed to the local supermarket where they were just finishing up their case-lot sale. I managed to pick up the items I needed to round out my food storage. Now it is time to go through my house looking for other junk to unload. Maybe I can get myself a new TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment