Monday, November 7, 2011

Table Computers

I am working on a project for tablet computers and so I picked one up from the office before heading out on Friday. After playing with it over the weekend, I have to say that they are a lot more useful than I originally would have given them credit. Furthermore, my 15-year-old son and 17-year-old daughter have been using it non-stop. I was glad when they finally went to school today so I can have a chance to use it.

Tablets generally come in one of 3 flavors: iPad, Android, or WebOS. The tablet I have is of the Android variety and is comparable to the iPad in size. Given my preference, I would like to try an iPad as I am an avid iPhone user. However my tablet was free and so I'm not complaining. Once I got it connected to my home network, I let my son use it and he made sure to load it up with all sorts of games and utilities. A word of caution: the same household rules that apply to the family computer should also apply to tablet computers.

While I like using my iPhone to do quick lookups on the Internet, the tablet is a much better platform. The screen is larger and easier to read. When I have to use the on-screen keyboard, it has larger buttons and I can almost touch type like when I am on a full-sized computer keyboard. My son also loaded up some of the books I am in the middle of going through. The tablet makes a great platform for reading, especially at night when I don't want to disturb my wife.

Now the real question: Does it increase my productivity? I would have to say No. While it is easier to do certain things, it is also easier to play games like Angry Birds. Last night when I should have been getting ready for the week, I was having an Angry Birds match with my son. Oh well. I just hope my company knows I am not giving my tablet back. It is way too fun to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment