Thursday, November 2, 2017

Video Game Walkthroughs

I am doing a bit of video game research for my current project and found myself reading through an online walkthrough for one of the video games I played recently. I chose a game I have finished because I don't want to ruin one I am currently playing. After all, getting surprised is half the fun.

This has me wondering if online walkthroughs constitute cheating. I must confess that I have used them to help me get through particularly difficult sections of games. Once I played Uncharted 3 with my son and we looked up the solution for one of the many puzzles. When it came time for me to play the game, I remembered how we cheated. I tried to solve the same puzzle using clues from the game and remember feeling a sense of accomplishment.

Sometimes a game can feel like it is just going on and on or I may be up against a time limit and need to keep things progressing. It is times like this that a game guide or walkthrough can help out.

As I can't condemn anyone for using a walkthrough because I have used them myself, I think they should be used sparingly. Going through one today left me with a very unsatisfied feeling. Perhaps it would be different if I was reading a guide for a game I haven't played yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment