Friday, August 28, 2009

Camping and Computers

This evening I am headed out on a family camping trip with a bunch of people from the neighborhood. I have done a lot of camping this summer and so I am wondering why I committed to spend yet another night away from my own bed, fighting bugs, and smelling like campfire smoke.

For those that don't know, I am a scoutmaster for the Boy Scouts of America and had the opportunity to go camping at least twice a month for the past year and a half. Normally the scouts go camping once each month but I have also been an assistant advisor to another scout group that went to Philmont Scout Ranch back in July. To help us prepare for our 85-mile adventure, we had additional backpacking trips each month.

All this time outdoors has given me some insight into camping and computers. In all honesty they really don't mix. The whole point of camping is getting away from civilization and enjoying the great outdoors. When I go camping for just one night, I generally leave the computer home. Nothing says "nerd" like hovering over a laptop while everyone else is roasting marshmallows.

There is one exception for bringing a laptop camping: playing DVD movies. At the beginning of August I attended my troop's week-long summer camp and we had one night with no camp-scheduled activities. We decided to watch a movie. I brought up my laptop, a dozen PG or G-rated movies, external speakers, a projector, and my super-quiet Honda generator. The boys then had a great time watching "Strange Brew." I had to preface the movie with a quick "beer drinking" disclaimer but everyone was greatly entertained. We even had a healthy number of the camp staff join us.

While it is fun to get away from civilization when you go camping, it is also fun to bring some selected bits of it with you. Projecting movies onto a sheet strung between two trees is amazingly soothing. Combine that with a canopy of stars and it is easy to see why drive-in movie theaters were so popular. Now if I can do something to guarantee it won't rain tonight, I will be a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment