Thursday, November 12, 2009

Big Monitors

I had a friend come over last night and I gave him a quick tour of my home office. He was surprised by how many computer monitors I have on my desk. I have five but they only go to three different computers. As someone who sits in front of a computer all day long, I need to keep track of a lot of different things. Most home computer users can survive with a single monitor.

This morning I am working on a software development project that requires a lot of screen real estate. As fate would have it, I am using the smallest monitor for this task. So what can I do to change that?

Two of the computers on my desk have dual monitors. The third computer is my laptop and the machine I am using to work on this morning's project. Most laptops have an external monitor connection. It is generally added to laptops in case you need to give a presentation and need to connect to a projector. So all I need to do is connect my laptop to one of the monitors on my desk and I will have more space.

That will actually work well in theory because one of my computers is off right now and so I can borrow a screen to share with my laptop. When I am done, I can reconnect it with the computer where it originated. Unfortunately the extra monitor is on the other side of my desk and I really can't see it from my laptop. I already have trouble figuring out which keyboard goes with which monitor and this would make it worse.

My two primary monitors actually have two inputs each. One is an HDMI (the same as a high definition TV) and the other is a standard VGA as found on most older computers. Instead of moving monitors around for today's project, I can actually run a second cable from the monitor to my laptop. I can then use the switch on the monitor to change inputs. When I want to see my desktop screen, I use the HDMI input. When I want to see the laptop screen, I use the VGA input.

My first computer came with a ten-inch monochrome display that was 80 characters wide by 24 down. Now I have desk full of monitors that are vastly superior. However I pretty much do the same thing now as I did back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment