Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Free Ski Passes

Recently I was given the task of managing volunteers for ski races at Snowbird. I got the job because I am on the ski team's board of directors. This used to be done by another volunteer but we have recently implemented an online system that requires certain computer skills. I am more than happy to help out.

Unfortunately skiing is one of those expensive sports that gets more so each year. Recently I was at Park City and they wanted $86 for one day. You can buy a lot of pizzas for $86.

When my kids started racing, I discovered a little trick to help keep the costs of skiing under control: volunteer to help at ski races. When you volunteer, you get a free pass for the day. Then at the end of the day, you get either one or two more. When I help with races at Park City, I get one, while Snowbird gives two. The only downside is that your presence is generally required all day long and so you don't get much of a chance to ski that first day. Oh and standing on the side of a mountain in the freezing cold is not the best way to spend your weekend. However it is for a good cause.

The nice thing about our website is that you can see what slots are available before you sign up. For instance, my oldest daughter likes to do the scoreboard. Basically she listens to the announcer and writes down the time for each racer's run. That allows parents and spectators to see how each of the racers is doing. It is an easy job but very important.

My hope is that other mountains will follow our example. Then when my kids have a race in Jackson Hole or Snowbasin, I can volunteer my services for a nice cushy job and get out of having to pay for expensive lift tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment