Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tablet Computers

When I first graduated from College 20 years ago, several computer manufactures announced tablet computers. None of them sold very well and it seems the idea was shelved. Then Apple announced the iPad. It was a huge success and now it seems everyone has a tablet computer, including the company where I now work.

Last night I found myself coming up with reasons to purchase a tablet computer. I have to travel once a week and would love to use one on the plane. The problem is that while I can rationalize all of the cool projects that I can do, the tablet would really just get used for games or watching movies. So that has me wondering if I should just get a portable game unit. I already have a Sony PSP and it doesn't get used much any more.

No, the appeal of a tablet is that it can be used for more than just game playing. That is why the iPhone and other smart phones have been so successful. You always carry your phone with you and to have it do more than one thing. On vacation with your family but left your camera at the hotel? Use your phone's to take a picture. On a long flight and are tired of reading your book? Watch a movie on the small screen or play a game. Maybe instead of getting a tablet, I should just get a newer phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment