Friday, April 12, 2013

Office Move

Today was my last day in the office space I have occupied over the last 3 years. On Monday, I will go to my new office and unpack everything I have spent the last week packing in preparation for the company move. It has been a bit hectic over the past couple of days and I doubt the next week will be much better.

One difficult thing about the move is that I have a responsibility to monitor our production databases and systems. We also have a network operations center (NOC) that also monitors things 24x7 and so there is a nice backup when I am not around. I got into the office this morning and discovered a quick problem that needed fixing and was able to get it taken care of before the NOC was alerted. I finished packing the rest of my office but kept my computers running until the last minute. Everyone around me had their computers turned off and disassembled. It reminded me of those poor souls on the Ice Planet Hoth in the movie "The Empire Strikes Back" who had to stick around and carry out their duties while everyone else got an early jump on leaving the doomed planet.

Fortunately my company's move does not take us to the far reaches of the galaxy nor did I have to blast my way out of the old office in the Millennium Falcon. We will be moving less than a mile away from our current office. While my office will be smaller, our new campus had much better facilities. We are also a lot closer to a number of restaurants in addition to an in-house cafeteria that will be a welcome change for lunch. I have yet to see our new office space and so Monday is going to be a big surprise. I hope I am not disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment