Thursday, September 5, 2013

Text Messages at 4am

I was rudely awoken this morning at 4am from a text message claiming that Chase approved me for a $1000 instant loan. I had a similar message yesterday at the same time. Yesterday's message said I could stop these text messages by replying with the word, "STOP". As it was 4am, I stupidly sent the message. This is always a bad idea because then the company knows there is a real person connected to the number.

Both Android and iPhones have a "Do Not Disturb" function that I decided to investigate today. As I have an iPhone, I played with those options and recommend anyone with a smart phone do the same. The first thing I did was turn on the Do-Not-Disturb feature in my phone's settings. Then I went into the notifications section and turned on the "Scheduled" function. That means my phone will not ring, buzz, or turn on the screen should I get a call or text message between the hours of midnight and 7am.

My reluctance to set this up in the past has been in case there is an emergency and someone needs to get a hold of me. There is are 2 ways around this. The first is to populate my "Favorites" list. Anyone on the list will cause my phone to notify me during the Do-Not-Disturb period. If you are not on the list, your first call goes unnoticed. If you call back immediately after, it will ring through.

My hope is that I will be able to sleep through the night without getting another notice that I am approved for some high-interest loan I don't really care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment