Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Video Game Ratings

One of my good friends just posted something on a popular social media site that I found interesting. Here is the sentence that caught my attention:

"How are we the only parents that think Call of Duty for a 12yo is a bad idea?"

Let me preface my remarks with a reminder that I currently work for a large video game company. While I do not work for the same company that publishes "Call of Duty," my comments also apply to our own games that are similar and I am not trying to single this game out as a bad game. I actually like "Call of Duty" and have played several of the various titles. There is a reason it is one of the most popular video games.

Video games come with a rating similar to movies, never mind that most American's ignore movie ratings. In the United States we use the ESRB system and "Call of Duty" is rated "M" for mature. That means that the game is meant for those 17-years old or older. My friend's son is only 12. Now I know that not all 12-year old boys are the same. However not a single one that I have ever met has the maturity that the ESRB expects from a 17-year old. Furthermore a lot of actual 17-year old boys lack the maturity the ESRB expects from them.

You can argue that first-person shooters like "Call of Duty" are rated that because of violence and strong language. That doesn't really make it acceptable for your 12-year old to be playing it. Some parents want to be their kid's friend and think that getting a video game will help strengthen those bonds of friendship. Guess what? Your kids have enough friends and sometimes need you to step up and be a parent. This is one of those times.

So if your kid comes to you asking for a game that is meant for someone older, grow a backbone and tell him, "No." When he throws out that his friend's parents got the friend the game, tell him, "Your friend's parents are idiots." You can quote me on that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment