Monday, February 29, 2016

Understanding the Vocabulary

Last week I attended an educational seminar at work on graphics. The first thing I realized was how little I know about the topic. Sure I know what a pixel is and how to draw pretty pictures but the seminar dove into a very technical topic on graphics and how it is related to video games.

Later in the week a few of us gathered one evening and I remarked about how little I knew about the topic discussed at the seminar. One of my coworkers admitted that the presenter dove right into the topic and didn't provide some rudimentary definitions related to the topic. It turns out there was a previous seminar that I was unable to attend that gave a base foundation that this later seminar built upon.

The field of computer science is rather large. While I have a very strong understanding of database technologies, there are a number of others about which I know very little. Whenever I try to learn something new, it is important to understand the basic concepts and vocabulary to build upon them. Otherwise I just end up getting frustrated. Should you find yourself in a similar situation, don't get frustrated. Use your favorite Internet search engine to help you discover those things you don't understand. Ask your trusted coworker that seems to have all the answers. If that fails, then ask your kids. They probably have it all figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment