Thursday, March 3, 2016

Free Guitar Lessons

Recently I purchased a left-handed electric guitar to keep on my boat in California. If you are going to learn how to play the guitar you need to practice daily and so I wanted something very inexpensive. If you talk to anyone that knows anything about guitars they will recommend spending a bit more money. However the marine environment is very harsh on things and so I wanted something so inexpensive I wouldn't cry when it gets destroyed. My threshold is around $100. As I play left-handed, I did a quick search on the Internet and found the guitar guide on LeftyFretz. Then I found something inexpensive that met my needs.

Interestingly enough, one of the selling points of the guitar that didn't really matter to me is that it comes with "Free Guitar Lessons." I had decided to use Rocksmith to learn the guitar but am open minded enough to see what the guitar lessons entailed. When the guitar arrived, there wasn't any CD or DVD included. Just a single piece of paper that included a website to visit. There they had a number of online videos teaching various aspects of beginning guitar. In all fairness the sheet of paper included with the guitar resembled one of the best thought-out guitar cheat sheets ever created and the online videos covered most of the basics even if some of them were from other sources than this particular guitar manufacturer. However I have to ask myself if they really needed to advertise "Free Guitar Lessons."

This got me thinking about how other products could advertise free lessons. Musical instrument tutorials can be found everywhere. Shouldn't they all come with free lessons? What about power tools and sports equipment? There wouldn't even need to be a special web page devoted to the tutorials. The instructions could simple just say, "Use your favorite search engine to look for free screwdriver lessons."

No comments:

Post a Comment