Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Pokémon Go

There is a new video game for your mobile phone that seems to be the latest craze and it is Pokémon Go. I have not downloaded it to either of my phones nor have I played it. I do have some work associates that are playing it and am amazed at how addicting it is.

Last night I went to dinner with a friend from work. We didn't have a set time to go but I finished my day at the office around 5pm and asked when he would be ready. His responded that he wouldn't be available until 7pm. I did a few things around the office and queried him again at 6pm to see if he could get away a bit earlier. He told me he could pull away from work at 6:15 and so I headed out to meet him. Why the delay? He had been playing Pokémon Go. Remember I work for a video game company and so playing games at work is a normal part of our day.

I don't have a car in the Bay Area as I use my bike to get around. That means my friend had to drive. He took me to his favorite Japanese restaurant. As we walked from his car, he had his phone out while looking for Pokémon. We got a table outside the restaurant which is not normal but as he is a regular they made an exception. We both appreciated that as the restaurant had reached the point that required reservations if you wanted to eat there. The outdoor table also afforded my friend the ability to continue playing Pokémon Go while we ate. We would talk and then every once and a while he would spin the character on his phone and collect free bits of stuff.

After dinner we walked around downtown San Mateo looking for my friend's favorite dessert place. We took a rather circuitous route in an effort to capture more Pokémon Go stuff. Then we took an equally roundabout way back to the car. San Mateo doesn't have much traffic but we took advantage of each stoplight to play more of the game. Eventually I got back to my office where I rode my bike back to my boat.

I asked my friend why he seemed so addicted to the game and he responded that he loved playing Pokémon as a kid. This brings back a number of those memories for him. He already understands the game and enjoys it. So if you are an old Pokémon fan, then you may want to give Pokémon Go a try. If you are like me and have too many other activities vying for your time, you may want to pass on this game. I'll let you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment