Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Getting Technical

I flew back to the Bay Area this week and started working in earnest. That can be tough after a few weeks of Christmas and New Year's celebration events. Yesterday I quickly got through my morning ritual and starting working on a design document for one of my projects. I really got into it and didn't notice time passing. One of my regular lunch buddies had to remind me that it was time to go get food. It has been a long time since I got so involved in a project that I needed to be reminded about food.

When I first started this job almost 8 years ago, I didn't think I would be here this long. I got hired as an individual contributor and did technical things on a daily basis. Then I slowly got moved into management. Now I am several levels deep and rarely get to spend my days doing technical things. That is one of the things I want to change and am challenging myself to spend half my time doing technical tasks. That forces me to quickly move through my management tasks. Then I jump into my technical work and am finding it to be a lot of fun.

The scope of my technical project is rather large and so I get to do a bit of dabbling in various technologies. Yesterday I created a document spec for a NoSQL database. Then today I started doing some Python programming to populate that document. Tomorrow I will be looking at machine learning for another part of the project. This sort of reminds me of the weather in the mountains: if you don't like it, wait a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment