Friday, May 11, 2018

Narrating Text Messages

I had to visit the post office this afternoon and had a guy behind me narrating his text messages. That means he used his phone's speech-to-text capability to send a regular text message. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a text message? Why not just call the guy on the phone. Then you don't annoy the rest of us in line while you have your conversation.

The guy in the post office really annoyed me today. Yes, it is much faster to speak into your phone and have it convert your message to text than it is to type it in yourself. Perhaps I am strange and only use text messaging when I know that someone is busy and can't talk on the phone or I can't talk on the phone. This guy held a conversation like he was talking on the phone, yet he kept having to correct the text message because speech to text isn't perfect. If you insist on texting instead of using the phone, make sure that is the most efficient use of communication. Otherwise you are just annoying those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment