Monday, November 19, 2018

Video Game Review: Detroit Become Human

This evening I finished the game Detroit: Become Human on the PlayStation 4 and have to say that I enjoyed it. It is from Quantic Dream, the same studio that created Heavy Rain. I have to say that I enjoyed Detroit a lot more even though they are very similar. If you are looking to play a game that is more like a movie where you can make choices that effect the outcome, then I suggest taking a look at Detroit: Become Human.

The game starts out with you controlling an android that tries to keep another android from killing someone. You then go through the story playing as several different android while they all become self-aware. Unlike any of the Telltale games, your choices really do effect the story and you are shown how through a nice flowchart at the end of each chapter. This is something new to this game that didn't exist in Heavy Rain and is a welcome addition.

Detroit: Become Human is one of those games where someone can watch you play and still enjoy the story line. My wife came and joined me on several occasions. She would ask if it was the "robot game" and then sit down until I finished the chapter before going to do something together. Each chapter only takes between 15 to 30 minutes to complete. The final one takes a bit longer.

The game has an ESRB rating of M for Mature due to partial nudity, violence, and strong language. I wish the game had a setting to dial back the language as I think it didn't add that much to the story. As for the nudity, there are several scenes where you see androids without any skin, but they are more mechanical than human. During the course of play, you enter an android strip club but everyone is wearing rather modest swimsuits as opposed to being nude. That is one of the scenes my wife watched and had it been risque, I might have lost my game-playing privileges at home.

If you are a late teen or older looking for a fun interactive movie that runs about 20 hours in length, then I can recommend Detroit: Become Human. I picked up the game at a huge discount using my industry discount but you can find it right now for about $40 at places like Best Buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment