Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Trying to Decide on a New Computer

This evening I find myself seriously looking to replace my 10-year old desktop in my home office. When I got the original machine I made sure to get something that would last. After 10 years I can say, "Mission accomplished." With work providing me a laptop to bring home every weekend I have not really had a need to get anything special. Now that I find myself working from home for the foreseeable future, I can justify an upgrade.

I want to put together some more adventuring videos and so my new desktop will be used to edit video. That means I need to get another powerful machine. In the past I have used iMovie on the Mac to build my videos and it works amazingly well. So should I focus on getting a powerful machine or spend the same amount and get a less powerful Apple Mac?

My oldest son seems to be invested in my decision as he has provided me with a number of references to help with my decision. Unfortunately that has only made my decision more complicated. At one time I expressed an interest in building a Hackintosh, which is a PC that is capable of running Apple's MacOS. My son ran with that idea and sent me a video of a machine that will run MacOS out of the box. Yes, there is a bit of a software configuration that I will have to go through. There is also the chance that future updates of the operating system won't work and I will have to modify things again. However you get a machine that runs circles around the latest hardware from Apple for about a third of the cost. I can also set it up to run Windows, Linux, and MacOS.

I have some time to decide and so I won't make a decision tonight. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to make a comment and let me know what you would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment