Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Video Game Review: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

Last night I had some free time and so I sat down to play one of the free games from my PS Plus subscription that came out in August: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout. My son showed me the game when I visited him earlier this month. He has had a lot of fun playing it and so I thought I would give it a shot.

Normally I wouldn't write a game review until I have completed the game. With Fall Guys, it is hard to know when you are done as it is one of those games that just keeps going on and on as long as you are willing to play. The concept is that you and 59 other players join an online game where you try to get through a virtual obstacle course. The courses seem to be taken directly from the old 2008 television show called "Wipeout." Each run through an obstacle course narrows down the field. If you do well, you continue on. If not, you can watch other players or join another game. Once eliminated you receive points for your effort based on how well you did. You can then progress to higher levels which allow you to unlock clothing options to change your in-game appearance.

While playing with my son, we had a lot of fun. When one of us would die, we would pass the controller and let the other one play. When I played alone last night, I got bored rather quickly and only played for about half an hour before moving onto something else. During that 30 minute session, I racked up 6 trophies. If you are looking to quickly rack up trophies, then this is a good game for you. It is also a great game to play with others. I wish there was a couch-coop mode as I think it would be a fun group activity. Should you want to play with a friend, you will each need your own console and TV along with a copy of the game. There is a mechanism in the game for inviting friends to play with you and I imagine it would be a lot of fun and a great way to hang out with someone but also follow social distancing guidelines.

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout is available for the PC from Steam as well as the PlayStation 4 console. If you made the effort to add it to your game library last month through PS Plus, then you could have gotten it for free. If you missed it, then it is $19.99 from the PlayStation store. While I would like to say that it is worth the $20 price tag, I am not sure I would purchase the game had I not gotten it for free. If you are looking for a casual game to play with a group of people, then it is well worth the price.

The game has an ESRB rating of E for everyone and I wouldn't have a problem playing it with my 3-year-old grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment