Monday, February 6, 2023

A New Phone, a New Chrombook, or a New Laptop

I have been working back at Sony for 6 months now and I need to make a change to my electronic tools. A few weeks ago I got stuck because an avalanche came across the road during my morning workout and I couldn't get home until 5:45pm that evening. I had some deliverables that I couldn't complete because of it. If I had my work e-mail on my phone, I could have gotten some of those deliverables done. Instead I had to work late into the evening and the entire next day, which was a Saturday.

I am reluctant to load my work e-mail on my personal phone because of all the notifications I get. Working for a Japanese company means I get a lot of alerts at weird hours of the day and I find myself not listening to any noise my smartphone makes. When I have a work phone that is different from my personal phone, I find it easier to catch important work events as well as personal ones. I have found an inexpensive smartphone that does everything I need it to for around $325. Should I get it?

I also find that my Chromebook has slowed to a crawl. It is almost getting to the point where it is becoming unusable. I have had it for quite a few years and so I recently looked at getting a new one. I found 2 or 3 that would be significant improvements for only $225. Don't ask me why a phone is smaller than a Chromebook but costs more. That's just the way things work. So should I get one of those?

As I think about the Chromebook and if I should replace my existing one, I am wondering if I would be better suited by a new personal laptop. I would say that I can do about 85% of what I need with the less expensive device and I always have my desktop computer when I need it. However the laptop would be more usable and last significantly longer than a Chromebook. Should I get a new laptop?

I'm not sure what the best choice is right now. Should I get a new phone or just load my work e-mail on my personal phone? Should I get a new Chromebook or a new laptop? Finally, should I not do a single thing and just working along without spending any money? Let me think about it and I'll let you know what I decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment