Friday, July 14, 2023

I Hate my Ring Doorbell

I've had a Ring doorbell for a couple of years now and I have decided that I don't like it. I hate it so much that I don't have it connected to my home network any more and don't feel the need to fix it. Perhaps you feel different about your Ring doorbell.

Part of the problem is that the device just can't seem to stay connected to my home WiFi, hence why it is not connected now. If it was as simple as pushing a button, that would make it easy to fix. Unfortunately it would also make it easy for bad actors to disconnect it from your home network. When it falls off the network, I have to physically remove the device from the front of my house using a special wrench to get to the reset button. Then there are a number of steps to get it reconnected. If it was a bit more reliable, I wouldn't have to reconnect it all the time.

Another contributor to why I hate my Ring doorbell is that people refuse to use it. The thing is large enough you can't not see it yet strangers prefer to knock on my front door. Perhaps they don't want to leave a record of their visit, which happens when the doorbell is used. I don't know people's logic but I got a lot more doorbell rings before I replaced my old button with the Ring device.

Finally I hate all of the notifications that Ring sends me. We are expecting really hot weather Sunday and Monday this week, Ring seems to send me a notice about it every couple of hours. Today is Friday but this has been going on for the past 3 days. It is like the boy who cried wolf. My phone sends me a notification that sounds like a text message so I pull my phone out only to discover the same message sent two hours earlier. I've tried to go into settings and turn things down so I only get important messages like someone being at my front door. Unfortunately no matter what settings I use, it seems to be an all-or-nothing proposition.

I think the original concept behind the Ring doorbell is brilliant. Who wouldn't want to have a camera to see who is at the front door before you open it? The problem is that the service has been overloaded with features to the point nobody rings the doorbell any more and the add-on notifications are overly abundant. Perhaps it is time to hack the device so it does exactly what I want it to and doesn't link into Ring's stupid notifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment