Saturday, November 25, 2023

Video Games for Christmas

I have gotten a lot of requests for idea about video games as gifts for Christmas. As it is that time of year, I thought I would provide some ideas for those looking to get games for those who enjoy them. Instead of grouping all games into the same category, I will do a bit of categorizing as it makes things somewhat easier.

Games for Kids

I often post about how I enjoy playing video games with my grandson. I have a few granddaughters too and so that is what I am using to make this list. While I don't see my granddaughters excited right now, it won't take long before these games are appropriate.

  • Knack and Knack II - I really like these games for those just starting to play video games. The story is interesting for all ages and your opponents are goblins instead of other people. The best part about the games is that if the child has a tough time navigating the map, the child is brought forward to where the couch-coop parent is on the screen. Most importantly, the games have been out awhile and you can find a copy of each for around $15. Unfortunately they are only available on the PlayStation consoles.
  • Mario Party - With my last suggestion being a PlayStation exclusive, I thought I should offer an alternative to those who prefer the Nintendo Switch. Every time I go over to my grandson's house, he wants me to play Mario Party. The games end up running about a half hour but he loves it. My 4-year old granddaughter also loves to play. Nintendo has some great games which is why they have managed to remain so popular. The only downside to the game is that it is rather expensive with a cost of around $55.
  • Lego Harry Potter Collection - My kids grew up playing with Lego blocks, listening to me read the Harry Potter books, and watching the Harry Potter movies. My grandkids are following in my kids' footsteps and so I started playing the Lego Harry Potter game with my grandson. He loves it and waits about 2 seconds before asking to play it when he walks into my house. I got the game for free with my PS Plus subscription but it is only $20 if you want to buy it as it has been out a while. My only complaint is that if you stop the game in the middle of a mission, you are forced to restart it instead of having frequent save points. 
  • Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga - This is a game that my grandson plays with his dad and loves it. In anticipation of having grandkids over at my house during the Holiday Season, I picked up a copy for less than $20. I am a huge fan of the movies and look forward to playing the Lego version of the game.

Games for Teenagers and Adults

I must confess that I have stopped playing video games on my own and so I am merely sharing the games that people around me have asked me to help get for those older children on their Christmas lists (adults included). Some of these recommendations will look familiar but I hope to have a well-rounded list.
  • Ghost of Tsushima - This one is a game that my youngest son and I both enjoyed playing. My oldest son just can't seem to get into it though. He asked us why we like it so much and the only thing I can think of is that both of us have been to Japan where my oldest son has not. I actually took his younger brother on my older son's birthday while leaving the older son back at home for college finals. I think he might still be mad about that. The reason I like the game is that it reminds me of the very-well manicured gardens and temples in Japan. It is an older game and you can find it on the PS5 for $25. Unfortunately it is a PlayStation exclusive.
  • Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4, and Far Cry 5 - I have enjoyed all 3 of those games and they are available on more than just the PlayStation consoles. You can also get all 3 games in the Far Cry Insanity Bundle for less than $20. I have spent countless hours playing the Far Cry games and think this is a great deal that will last long past the Holiday break.
  • God of War Ragnarok - I have a copy of this game but have yet to play it. It is another PlayStation exclusive and have helped quite a few of my friends get a copy of the game. If you don't have someone at Sony that can help get a discounted copy, it can be found for $30 on the PS4 and $40 on the PS5. I thoroughly enjoyed the predecessor game and spent many hours entertained by it. I can only assume this version is close to the original.
  • Spider-Man 2 - This is another game I have not yet played. I started playing the original but stopped halfway through because of COVID. One would think that isolation would have enabled me to complete the game but without the need to travel to the Bay Area, I had other things to occupy my evenings instead of video games. I did enjoy the original and have enjoyed watching my youngest son as he platinumed this one. This is another one of those PlayStation exclusives and as it released recently is rather pricy at $70.
  • Hogwarts Legacy - This is a game available on more than just the PlayStation and is also a game that my sons' wives have enjoyed. Unfortunately I have not played it but might pick it up this Christmas because it comes so highly recommended. It has been out a while and you can find it for $30 at Walmart. Given the glowing recommendations from both of my daughters-in-law, I recommend you give it a shot if you are a fan of the Harry Potter movies and books.
  • Jedi Survivor - This is a game from Electronic Arts that is cross platform and picks up where Jedi Fallen Order leaves off. Both of my sons really enjoyed the game and I am hoping it shows up under my Christmas tree. I enjoyed Fallen Order and am excited to give the sequel a try. My youngest son warned me that he thought the original to be better but still recommended this one. Game Stop has a Black-Friday special for only $30 that you should be able to find for awhile longer.
Not everyone will want video games for Christmas and so this may not fit everyone on your list. If you do have people who like to play, I hope this gives you some ideas. It is also important to note that I enjoy action-adventure games and so I have not recommended any sports ones, which are popular with a lot of gamers. I always suggest asking about what people's favorite games are and then looking for sequels or similar games. Then you are sure to get the right gift. If you still aren't sure, a gift card may be the better choice. Then that person on your list can ensure he or she got the right game.

No comments:

Post a Comment