Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Fixing E-mail SPAM Filters

One of the new benefits from my company I am receiving this year is identity protection. I received an e-mail from our service and it had all sorts of warnings on it that indicated the message originated outside of my company's network. Before setting up the service, I had to review my benefits to make sure it came from the company actually providing the service. Our IT department loves to test our Phishing skills and sends us bogus e-mails about once a month. When we flag it as a Phishing e-mail we are told if the e-mail really is a test. Once I verified the valid e-mail message, I logged in and set up my account.

Our identity protection company suggested using a personal e-mail address. They then asked to verify it. I did and they sent a message with an 8-digit number they wanted me to enter into their website. When the message didn't arrive quickly I looked at my SPAM filter which didn't have the message either. While I waited for the verification code to arrive, I investigated my SPAM filter settings. I don't know why I have not done that before.

Whenever I go through my SPAM report and see an e-mail that should have made it to my inbox, I click the "Allow" button. I assumed this would allow all e-mails from that sender through. When I checked my filters, I had a number from the same companies but with different senders. I didn't realize that companies changed the senders based on the message being sent. While I would have loved getting a message from anyone at Disney.com, the sender looked like:

123abc@disney.com

Furthermore, there were a number of subdomains like:

456def@email.disney.com

What I really want is to receive everything from any part of Disney. In order to do that I had to go into my SPAM filter settings and created rules for "Allowed Domains" and not just "Allowed Senders". I went through all 57 allowed-senders rules and converted them to allowed-domains rules. Then I went back and deleted the duplicated rules in allowed-senders.

I have been spending several minutes a day going through the message subjects of the e-mails caught in my SPAM folder because no matter what I tried, I couldn't figure out why clicking the "Allow" button wasn't allowing all messages from particular companies through. Now I know why and will be proactive in making sure I create the correct rules. In the future, I hope to not have to spend any time reviewing my SPAM messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment