Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Computer Mistakes

This morning I was reading through one of my computer magazines. I didn't read a single article except for one. Towards the back of the magazine there is a regular column that generally has three short stories about users making various computer mistakes. At the time, I am sure the users don't think they are funny. However after a bit of time some are quite hilarious.

I think one of my favorite computer stories is about how someone called in to technical support complaining about how his computer wouldn't turn on. The support engineer asked a series of simple questions like, "Did you push the 'On' button?". When he asked if the computer was plugged in, the user responded, "I'm going to have to get a flashlight as I can't see the cord because the power is out."

Another one of my favorite stories is about how a guy called in asking to have his cup holder replaced. The support engineer didn't think they shipped cup holders with their computers and probed further. He soon discovered that the user thought the CD-ROM tray was a cup holder.

Computers have the potential to make our lives easier but they also can be incredibly frustrating. Someone once said, "To err is human, but it takes a computer to really foul things up." I would have to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment