Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Keep in Touch

One of the benefits of the Internet is how easy it is to keep in contact with people. Some like the structure of Facebook or MySpace to post information about what they are doing. Others like to blog about their various activities. My preferred method of keeping in contact is with e-mail.

One benefit of the new year is that it serves as a reminder to set resolutions for self-improvement. For me, it also serves as a time to reach out and send a note to all of my friends that I haven't talked to in a while. I don't do a mass e-mail to everyone in my address book as I have been exchanging e-mail with some friends quite recently. Instead I go through and find friends that I may have forgotten about.

Yesterday I sent an e-mail to an old friend from Oracle. He lives in the Bay Area but has a second home in Park City that he uses for frequent ski trips. I noticed that I will be in Park City at the end of the month and wanted to see if he was around so we could take a few runs together. I dropped him a note and immediately received a response. It was nice to connect again.

Earlier in the week, I sent out an e-mail to an old work associate. Yesterday afternoon he gave me a call thanking me for the message. We talked for a bit and it was good to catch up. There may even be some business opportunities that would allow us to work together again.

I know that everyone sends the usual Christmas cards around this time of year. That doesn't mean you are done though. Take some time and drop a note to someone you haven't talked to recently. After all, e-mail costs the same whether you send one message or a thousand.

No comments:

Post a Comment