Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Using My Tablet Computer

After weeks and months of not using my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, I picked it up over the past weekend and started using it for a bit of reading before bed. My preferred reading format is real paper but it has its limitations. As I had a lot of airplane time over the past several weeks, I carried James Mitchner's first novel, Tales of the South Pacific, with me. Anyone who has seen the musical South Pacific is familiar with some of the stories found in the book as that is where they come from.

I am inspired by a good historical novel and enjoy reading Mitchner for this reason. Tales of the South Pacific is about the Pacific theater of World War II. When I finished the novel, I couldn't help but wonder how much of it was based on actual events. It seems that my history classes in high school spent all of their time on the birth of the nation and lacked much depth to anything after the Revolutionary War. Most of my knowledge of World War II comes from living in France and watching various movies like Pearl Harbor, Midway, Unbroken, and The Monuments Men.

In an effort to learn more about the Pacific theater of World War II, I pulled out my Samsung tablet and have been using it to look up timelines and various historical facts. It has proven rather insightful and interesting. I have enjoyed not having a laptop on my chest while trying to read in bed and have rediscovered that tablet computers do have something to offer even an old dinosaur like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment