Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Tale of Two Tablets

Back in September I received word that I had won a computer table from CompUSA. They had a contest where they were giving out a tablet a day. When I was notified about winning the tablet, I was dubious. However it arrived last week while I was in Japan and my family wasted no time opening the box and playing with it.

Several weeks ago, I borrowed a tablet from work and so now I have two tablet computers. One is the Sony S1 and the other is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Both run the Android operating system and so it is interesting to have the two tablets side by side for comparison. You can get the same applications for both devices and so it is interesting to see just the differences in the hardware.

First, the Sony device is wedge-shaped, sort of like a thin 3-ring binder. At first I thought I would hate this ergonomic difference. The Samsung is more like the iPad and iPad2. While the Samsung is less bulky and easier to hold in my hand, I actually prefer the Sony. When I place the tablet on a desk or table, the slight tilt makes it much easier to read. It is also much easier to use with the on-screen keyboard. Point for Sony.

Second, there is a huge difference in speed. Using the two devices day after day, you notice that the Sony tablet is much faster than the Samsung. Even my kids notice the difference and have started to ask to play games on the Sony vs. the Samsung. Point 2 for Sony.

Third, the Samsung vibrates as a part of the user interface. When you type on the virtual keyboard, the device has a slight shudder that is very helpful in addition to the key-click sound both devices emit. I like this feature as I can turn off the sound and still have feedback when I am typing. Point for Samsung.

I really like both devices. It is also nice having two as one of the kids is always playing with one. It is not uncommon to go into my living room and see both tablets being used. Eventually I will have to give one of the tablets back and I am sure it will cause problems. Until then, I think you can't have too many tablet computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment