Friday, May 14, 2010

The Death of OpenOffice.org

Two days ago, I received an e-mail about how OpenOffice is dead because of the new release of Microsoft Office 2010. The author comments about the quality of online office suites like Google Docs. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the online office suites are no replacement for a full fetaured office suite like OpenOffice or Microsoft Office.

The author then goes on to talk about all the new features of Microsoft Office 2010 and how it is so much better than OpenOffice that everyone should switch to Microsoft Office. His justification is that if you can't afford to pay for software, use Google Docs. That is like someone who has just had his first ride in a Ferrari saying that you should never own a Toyota and if you can't afford a Ferrari, you should take the bus.

I like Microsoft Office on the Mac and think it is a great product. I like OpenOffice on Linux and think it is a great product. Recently I have started using Microsoft Office on Windows and have to say that I hate it. In Office 2007 on Windows, they completely redesigned the user interface and it is difficult to find anything. I will probably replace it with OpenOffice and only use Microsoft Office on the Mac. As for Google Docs, it has its place, but anybody that thinks it will replace a full-featured office suite has had a bit too much of the Google Kool-Aid and needs to give it a rest.

Is OpenOffice dead? Not at all. There are lots of people that will continue to use OpenOffice, myself included. I think the real issue is that the person who wrote the article about the demise of OpenOffice works for ZDnet and ZDnet sells advertising space. Companies like Microsoft pay for advertising. OpenOffice doesn't. I'll let you do the math.

No comments:

Post a Comment