Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Internet Recipes

Living alone 4 nights a week means I either eat out a lot or I have to eat my own cooking. Past experience has taught me that eating out a lot is the best way to gain weight and so I try to cook my own meals as often as possible. Unfortunately I haven't had to cook for myself in almost 20 years (thanks to my wonderful wife) and so my cooking skills are somewhat rusty. Oh sure, I am good at putting together meals for camping trips, but there are only so many ways to spice up a tin-foil dinner.

Before leaving the office last night, I spent a couple of minutes on the Internet looking for recipes that I could easily make. I only have a single pot and a single frying pan in my bachelor kitchen and so I searched for one-pot meals. I found a great site with 20 wonderful looking recipes. The only problem was that they all required a number of ingredients I just don't stock on my boat. Not only is my kitchen small, but there isn't a lot of storage space to keep even the most basic staples. There was one meal that looked like it didn't require too many ingredients: Thai Green Chicken Curry. So before heading home, I stopped by the store and picked up what was needed.

I got back to the boat and spent the next hour cooking dinner. Naturally I would have preferred to eat 5 minutes after I started cooking, but there wasn't anything else to do but watch TV and I already do too much of that. The instructions were easy to follow and I was proud of myself when I sat down to eat. Now I have one more recipe to add to my really short list of things I can cook. Just don't tell my wife, she might expect me to cook more when I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment