Thursday, October 21, 2010

Learning MySQL

I originally started today's entry with the title "I Hate MySQL." However I realize that I don't like it mostly because I don't know it very well. In an effort to be more fair to MySQL, I toned down the title a bit and publicly acknowledge that I have some learning to do.

For those that don't know, I prefer PostgreSQL to MySQL. I use PostgreSQL daily and it is my database of choice on any new project. I also know the Oracle database well and have used it in various production systems. Unfortunately it is rather expensive and PostgreSQL will do 95% of the things Oracle can for a lot less money.

Today I have to administer a MySQL database because of performance issues. I have about 8,000 rows that I need to move from one table to another. This involves inserting them into the new table and then deleting them from the old. You would think that given the rantings of many MySQL followers that such a task would be simple and quick. Unfortunately the application that I am using references two other very large tables which complicates things a lot. I started this move yesterday at 10am and it still hasn't completed. There are tools that allow me to see what is happening in the database and the delete seems to be running longer than one would guess. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to speed things up.

During my frustrating morning, a friend sent me a link to a very funny video where two stuffed bears are discussing MySQL vs. PostgreSQL. The language is very crude and so I won't post the link here. However it did put a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment