Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Using The Tools You Have

Last week I started a new diet. Recently I stood on the scale and it gave me a really big number. I had slowly been watching the number rise and knew my current diet and exercise plan wasn't working. It was time to do something else. About a year ago, I wrote about an application for my iPhone called Lose It. I still think it is a great tool, I just happened to get lazy and stop using it. Unfortunately, it shows.

I would not recommend my diet for anyone. It is awful and I hate it. Fortunately it is working or I would stop it right now. The diet is one of those cleansing diets where you drink two shakes a day and then enjoy a sensible 400 to 600 calorie meal. Then one day a week, I go without food and drink this nasty concoction that tastes like a cross between apple cider and the dead skin between your toes (or at least how I imagine that would taste). Yesterday was my first cleansing day and my only salvation was that raspberries went on sale at the supermarket next to my office. I know I cheated on the diet, but I figure if you are going to eat something, raspberries aren't going to hurt. It is the only thing that got me through the day.

So far I am down 5 pounds after the first week and I should be able to continue that rate. The only reason I can continue with the diet is because I know there is an end in sight. Three weeks from today I will be done and can go back to eating real food.

The reason I gained weight is because of my ugly travel schedule. I spend 5 days a week in San Francisco and then 2 back home in Salt Lake. I am good about watching my weight in San Francisco but then binge eat when I am home. Being on this diet showed me where I have eating problems and now I know how to fix them. In 3 weeks, I will start using "Lose It" again, which will help with my portion control and regular exercise. Until then I am counting down the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment