Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Teamwork

This morning I began documenting a project I just started. I am using a new product called Eucalyptus and want to write down the steps I went through to get everything running. Then if I have to go through the same steps in the future, I won't have to figure it out again.

As I was adding comments to my notebook, I turned past a number of entries for new products I have learned this year. While there are the usual notes about PostgreSQL, MySQL, and other databases, there are also notes for MongoDB, BIRT, Fabric, and other software. I wish I could say that I discovered all these products myself, but that would be a lie. The reason I am using them is because of various people I work with and their recommendation to help make my job easier.

I used to do consulting and had my own bag of tools. While I would work with others, rarely would they make recommendations of other products that might help me out. Now that I am in more of a team environment, there is an open atmosphere of sharing. I find this to be a refreshing change and am enjoying the chance to add to my toolbox. So if you find yourself struggling with a particularly nasty problem, seek out a trusted resource and see if there isn't another tool out there to make the problem go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment