Thursday, March 3, 2011

Simple Solutions

A couple days ago I discovered that I have two databases with overlapping data. That means they both contain copies of the same data. Unfortunately one of the databases has been getting updated while the other one hasn't. There are two possible solutions: one is to require the data to get manually input to both databases, and the other is to write a little program that updates the updates the second database when something changes in the first. The trick is to figure out which solution will work the best.

Writing a little program means more work for me. Not only do I have to write the program, but I also have to test it and then maintain it. Having someone manually update two databases is simple to implement but is more error prone. The gating factor on which solution to use boils down to how often updates are made. Looking at my particular situation, I will most likely be writing the automatic program. So when would someone choose the manual process?

The best example of leaving something manual is with annual reports. Perhaps you have sales figures for each month and each quarter. Since the annual report is a simple matter of adding the figures from the quarterly reports and is only run once a year, that can often be left as a manual process. This is especially true given the cost of an administrative assistant vs. computer programmers. Now if I only had an administrative assistant.

No comments:

Post a Comment