Thursday, June 23, 2011

Internet Learning

Yesterday I was riding home from the office when I got a flat tire on my bicycle. I have changed countless flat tires, but last night was one of the worst.

Wednesday is the day of our weekly office ride. We do an 11-mile loop around Foster City. To make it harder for myself, I do it on a mountain bike. Otherwise it would be too easy. After last night's ride, I did a bit of work at the office and then started the ride home. I had a wonderful meal planned as soon as I got back to the boat because I was very hungry. I was so hungry, I thought about raiding the vending machine before I left the office. Once I got the flat tire, I regretted not spending a few quarters.

One thing about fixing a flat tire is that you want to have a nice place to sit down. I walked a ways and found a park bench in the shade. Once I was comfortable, it didn't take long to patch the tire. I was amazed at how quickly my tire-changing experience returned even though I haven't had to patch a tire in over a year.

On my ride into the office this morning, I was glad to see that my patch was good and the tire was still holding air. I also thought about how there is no substitute for practicing what you learn. The Internet is a wonderful tool that provides all sorts of teaching tools. You can learn how to adjust the gear-shifting mechanism on your bike or how to repair a flat tire. Just remember to practice what you learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment