Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Where Am I?

It is nice to finally have summer here in the Bay Area. I rode my bike to work yesterday and then again today. With the high prices of gasoline, the bike is a huge money saver.

I was about a mile into my journey this morning when I came across a guy sitting on the ground with his really nice racing bike next to him. As I passed, I noticed there was a lot of blood on the pavement. It didn't take too long for my brain to register that the guy had been in an accident and probably needed some help. I stopped and turned around. When I rode up to the guy, I noticed that he had a huge gash in his chin and was on his cell phone trying to get one of his buddies to come pick him up.

The accident victim seemed glad that I came back to help and had me talk to his friend. While I knew where I was, I didn't know the names of any of the cross streets in the area. I pulled out my iPhone and pressed the "Where Am I" button in the map application. Then I zoomed in to read off the nearest cross streets. As we were on a bicycle path, we had to walk down a small path to get to the nearest road. We waited a couple of minutes for the friend to arrive.

Lately I have thinking that I don't need all of the features of the iPhone and could probably get by with something much simpler. However, today I was glad I had it and the simple "Where Am I" feature came in really handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment