Friday, September 30, 2011

My Presentation

I gave a presentation at PgWest on Wednesday this week. I wasn't going to attend the conference but one of the organizers called me and asked me to submit a paper. So I submitted the same one I gave at last year's conference. The talk went fairly well and I was able to do something I had never done before: ignore my slide set.

Before going to the conference, I told my wife that I didn't want to give the same presentation from the previous year but didn't really have time to revamp anything. I told her I wanted to poll the audience and find out why they were at my presentation. So that is what I did. Some people were there to find out more about the subject I was speaking about while others had specific questions.

Knowing what people were interested in finding out helped me tailor my presentation. It also got the audience involved and they were more eager to ask questions. About half-way through the talk, I abandoned my slide presentation and just showed examples on the computer. I think everyone appreciated something a bit different.

No comments:

Post a Comment