Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

Today is Thanksgiving day and I thought I would jot a quick note about what I am thankful for with regards to technology:

1. The Internet. The Internet is truly amazing. It allows us to communicate with each other over vast differences. We can send e-mails, use Skype to video conference, broadcast messages, share pictures, get directions to Grandma's, purchase Christmas gifts at the lowest cost, and find out all sorts of useful and useless information.

2. Apple. They continue to innovate and make products that really are better than their competitors. That keeps the rest of technology moving forward. If the auto industry had a company like Apple, cars would be significantly better and the world would be a better place because of it.

3. Smartphones. It took me a while to give up my regular mobile phone and get a smartphone. Now that I have one, I find myself being much more efficient.

4. Flat panel displays. I have two on my computer at home and four on my desk at work. They are much lighter than their CRT counterparts and take a lot less energy to run. Go Green!

5. Desktop and laptop computers. Let's face it, without computers, we wouldn't have the Internet. Continual computer development is what made cell phones and smartphones possible. They have also driven the advancements in display technology and are part of the reason TV technology has changed so much.

Yes, technology is great and it is what allows me to have a job. However when you put things in perspective, it doesn't matter at all when compared with the good times spent during the Holiday season with family and friends. So I am off to spend time with the people in my life.

Happy Thanksgiving 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment