Thursday, October 24, 2013

Apple, Google, and Microsoft

This evening was a monthly get together for friends from the office. We all met at a local restaurant and enjoyed catching up with former colleagues. One just happens to be working at Apple. There were several televisions located in the restaurant bar and so I kept catching glimpses of the football game going on in the background. While I enjoyed keeping up with the game, it was more interesting to watch the various commercials. They alternated between the Google Chrome book, the Apple iPhone 5S, and Microsoft's Surface tablet.

Naturally the conversation started discussing the various products in the advertisements. I talked about my hatred of the touchscreen fad that seems to be invading computers these days. One of my coworkers mentioned that I am a power user that has spent way too much time with a mouse or track pad and don't represent the masses. While I interact with my computer, most users simply retrieve information. I couldn't argue with that.

Next someone mentioned that one of my coworkers had a Microsoft tablet computer. One question I have had is if there are a large number of apps for the tablet. My coworker explained that he had the Pro model and so it was a real computer running Windows 8. Lesser version of the Microsoft tablet don't have many applications available to them and should be avoided. Everyone at the table seemed to agree with the comments. It also explained why Windows is embracing the the touchscreen interface so much.

The conversation ended with Apple. It was enlightening and my friend did not divulge any confidential information. However I don't want to go into too many details just in case I get my friend in trouble. Rest assured it was a good conversation and I was able to discuss some of my pet peeves with Apple products. I'm not sure it will do much good but it was nice to get that off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment