Monday, April 21, 2014

Spring Break in Japan

Last week was Spring Break for my youngest son who is a senior in high school. I had a trip scheduled to Japan and so I took him with me along with my wife. I spent my days at the office while they spent their days sightseeing and touring Tokyo. We had one day where they were scheduled to go to Kamakura but they were not able to go because my wife wasn't feeling well. Sixteen-hour time changes can really do a number on you physically.

We are back from Japan now and so I can finally post about the trip. Why wait until we are back? Because my empty house could become a target for thieves if they knew I was gone. As nobody was at my house, I also sent my ferocious German Sheppard to a doggie spa. She does a perfect job of keeping undesirable elements from even thinking about horking my stuff. For those that don't know, "hork" is a Canadian word synonymous with "steal." With my favorite burglar alarm gone, I kept quiet about being in Japan.

I made sure to wake up early every day and do a bit of touring with my wife and son. We would look for a place to eat breakfast and quickly grew fond of western-style coffee shops. They make great breakfast sandwiches that my son and I really enjoyed. As we would go on our morning walk, we noticed that the Japanese don't really lock their bikes. You have to love a polite society that respects each other's property. I wish it was that way in the United States. Then we wouldn't have to worry about keeping our vacation plans secret until we got back.

The point I am trying to make is that posting travel plans is something best done after the trip. Otherwise someone could hork your stuff. If you have good stuff that you like and want to keep, then don't tell everyone on Facebook that you are in some exotic locale. It might not be there when you get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment