Friday, February 27, 2015

Preventative Maintenance

Today I took my car into the shop for some regularly scheduled maintenance. I have a 2001 BMW 540i with only 67,000 miles on it. It has so few miles on it because I never drive it in the snow and there is a lot of snow in Utah. I also try to take very good care of it and so as part of the maintenance I had the mechanic perform an inspection. There are two items he suggested I perform as preventative maintenance. Since it is for a BMW, the work won't be cheap and adds up to about $1000.

One important thing I want to point out is that I trust my mechanic. There are a number of mechanics I have gone to through the years and would not trust their recommendations. The difference between them and my current mechanic is that I have had the chance to see my mechanic's work over the past number of years. He also knows how much I take care of my car and knows that I want it to last for a long time.

Unfortunately my mechanic has been working out of his home garage for the past decade and just now put up a shop. There are no reviews to check and an online search would turn up very little information. In other words, a careful Internet search would keep a number of people from using him. So if you are looking for a trustworthy mechanic in the Salt Lake area, give Kevin a call and he will take care of you.

On Monday I will take my car back  and let Kevin work on it while I am in the Bay Area. There is probably a lot I can add about preventative maintenance with your computer equipment but let's be honest: Computers are cheap compared to cars and you can replace them for a lot less than your car. So if you have the choice of buying a new tablet computer or doing a lube/oil/filter on your car, spend the money on your car. It will save you a lot more money later down the road (no pun intended).

No comments:

Post a Comment