Thursday, February 26, 2015

Time to Find a New E-Mail Provider

Last Thursday I stopped receiving e-mail. I get enough daily e-mail that I knew something was wrong fairly quickly and so I called my e-mail service provider to register a problem. The first level of support took my information and passed it onto the second-level team. I was in a meeting when they called back but the resulting voicemail informed me that I had two invalid name servers associated with my domain name. I promptly removed the offending name servers. I was also told that there was a problem with one of their e-mail servers where and my e-mail was effected. It didn't bother me to be without e-mail for a few days but I continued checking on things over the weekend.

Monday I still didn't have e-mail and so I logged a call with their technical support. Tuesday I was tied up in meetings and didn't have the chance to check with my e-mail service provider. When things still were not working yesterday, I gave them a call again. As luck would have it, I got a call back when I was out of my home office for just a moment. The voicemail message was very similar to the one I had gotten on Thursday telling me there were two name servers that needed to be deleted. I immediately called back only to discover that level two support was done for the day and I would have to wait until this morning to hear back from them. When I called back this morning, level-two support was busy and couldn't help me. I talked with a supervisor only to be told they would have to call me back.

A week without e-mail is ridiculous. That means it is time to find a different e-mail service provider. I really don't have many requirements. I want to be able to use a webmail interface to read messages while I am at work. When I am home, I want to be able to download the messages using POP3. The only other requirement is that it comes with a good SPAM filter. In doing a bit of research, WEB.COM seems to have some fairly good packages for about $6/month. I am currently paying $10/month and so I will save myself some money. Now I just need to figure out a way to get my cached e-mail over the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment