Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Don't Pay to Watch People Play Video Games

This weekend I was riding the chairlift at Snowbird with someone from San Diego and he was telling me about a guy in his mid 20's that was looking to rent a place on the beach for around $8,000 per month. Naturally the guy thought the young man was dealing drugs but asked what he did for a living. The answer shocked him in that the response was that he played video games and people pay to watch him. Now I know that these type of sites exist but don't understand how anyone can make that kind of money with spectators.

Today I was at work and someone had a website up where people watch others play video games. I was interested in what was going on because of my chairlift conversation over the weekend. I watched for about 5 minutes and saw donation after donation stream in. Now I can understand watching someone get through a particularly difficult part of a game to get ideas on how to overcome it, but I don't think I would donate money to the person. Furthermore, once I discovered the secret, I would get back to my own video game and turn off the website.

I spend a lot of time skiing because it is an activity I love to do. I rarely watch it on TV or the Internet. It is just one of those things that is a lot more fun to do than to watch others do. I think video games are the same way. They should be more fun to play than to watch others play. If you feel differently then you might want to try playing something different and build up to the game you want to master.

No comments:

Post a Comment