Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Video Game Review: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

I had a goal to finish one video game over the Christmas break and was successfully able to complete Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. It is the first in a series of PlayStation exclusive games and really set the bar high for action adventure games. I have versions of the game for both the PS3 and the PS4. I understand that they went so far as to rerecord the music to higher standards for the remastered version on the PS4 and so I played that over Christmas. I had started the game on the PS3 several years ago but never had the time to finish it. I got all the way to chapter 7 and thought I was getting close to the end. Little did I know that there are 22 chapters and was really just getting started.

One nice thing about action adventure video games is that you get to run through a number of different activities. Sometimes you are shooting at bad guys while other times you are solving puzzles. Sometimes you try to do both without getting killed in the process. It was a lot of fun over the break to come home from skiing and spend an hour or so getting deeper into the game. Sometimes it was painful for those around me to watch as I struggled to climb around various parts of the game only to fall and have to restart that section. My son kept wanting to take the controller and get me through certain areas. Then I would breeze through other parts of the game that had him stuck for hours. It probably would have been much more enjoyable for him to jump from precarious ledge to ledge while he let me shoot bad guys. We could have worked together to complete the game in half the time.

The original Uncharted game was a breakthrough in many areas and really opened a new genre of video games. It was followed up by Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 which continued to build on a solid foundation. Then other games like Tomb Raider evolved the genre so that I am eagerly anticipating the release of Uncharted 4 later this year. Unfortunately that means that Uncharted is not as much fun as these other games and I have to admit that it got rather tiring at times. Several of my co-workers that are avid video game players have yet to finish the game because they lost interest. Given the choice of Uncharted or Tomb Raider, I would recommend the later.

That being said, Tomb Raider is one game and if you purchase the remastered version of Uncharted, you get Uncharted 1, 2 and 3. I have yet to play 2 or 3, but judging from comments made by those who have, I am in for a lot of fun. I'll give them a try over the next 3 months and be sure to provide a review for each of them.

Uncharted is rated T for violence and strong language. It definitely has a lot of both and so if you are sensitive to them, I would recommend a different game. However if you like a good tropical action adventure game, Uncharted is well worth your time. If you are a budget shopper you can get Uncharted on the PS3 very inexpensively. The Uncharted Collection for the PS4 won't be so kind to your wallet.

I have to remind the reader that I work for a video game company that may or may not be involved with any of the 4 games listed in this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment