Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Video Game Publishers

Friends of mine will often ask me to get them discounted video games and think that I can get them any game they want. Unfortunately that is not true. I can get a limited number of video games from my company and I am happy to do that for people I know well. I also have made a number of friends at other game companies and often times they will help get other titles for me. It does mean I have to call in a favor though.

My wife sent me a text message this morning asking me if I could pick her up a number of video games. Some of them are from my company but most of them are from other places. The games are for my wife's coworkers and so I have an obligation to help her look good. Naturally I contacted a few of my friends and picked up most of the remaining titles. That means there are a few that I can't get.

I talked about this with one of my coworkers today and he shared that he has the same problem with his friends. The concept of a publisher is easy for us to understand as we are part of the industry. To everyone else, the games all seem to come from the same place. I guess the best analogy is that of automobiles. I work for Toyota while I have friends that work at Honda, General Motors, and Ford. If you want a Tacoma truck, I can help you out. Just don't ask me to get you a Corvette. I would have to contact my friend at General Motors. Furthermore I don't have any friends that work for BMW or Mercedes so if you want one of those I can't help you out. The only problem with my analogy is that it is easy to recognize car companies and their various models. Video games are different in that people don't really pay attention to who makes specific games.

No comments:

Post a Comment