Thursday, June 29, 2017

TSA Precheck

Monday I sat in line for 11 hours so I could get my in-person interview for Global Entry. This allows me to easily pass through customs and immigration on any of my many international trips. It also comes with the TSA Precheck benefit. That allows me a special line at the airport security that is generally faster than even the frequent flyer line. One thing that makes it fast is that you don't have to take off your shoes, pull out your laptop, nor pull out your liquids. It is like going through airport security before 9/11.

At the time, I really hated waiting all day long to get my interview. Once in, the interview only took 10 minutes. The reason waiting took so long is that I didn't have an appointment. My scheduled appointment isn't until November and this is a service I can use long before then. I didn't have a busy schedule at the office and so I worked from the comfort of an airport chair. Yes, the word "comfort" in the last sentence is dripping with sarcasm.

Today I got to the San Francisco airport and got through security in a matter of minutes. There was nobody in front of me and even though I got randomly flagged for extra screening, I passed through 20 to 30 minutes faster than if I had stood in my regular line.

So now I have to ask myself if that 30 minutes is worth the 11 hours I spent on Monday. One may argue that the time just doesn't add up. I would disagree. All it takes is standing in line a bit too long to miss a flight and then 30 minutes easily turns into 24 hours. Yes, I would have to say that this one episode more than makes up for all the time I spent on Monday.

If you travel more than 4 times per year, I highly recommend spending the $85 for TSA Precheck. If you also travel internationally, I suggest spending an extra $15 for a total of $100 and getting Global Entry. If you are planning a single international trip sometime in the future: don't waste your time nor your money. You don't need it. Furthermore you might be taking up a badly needed interview slot for someone that does travel a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment