Thursday, February 15, 2018

On the Phone While Driving

In a number of states it is illegal to drive while talking on the phone unless you have a hands-free device. I understand this law as it is tough to hold your phone and steer the car at the same time. I think it is a good practice to never have your phone out while driving even if you are in one of the states that does allow you to talk on the phone and drive like Utah.

I am noticing a trend though. Last night I drove home from the airport with my wife and she noticed that the woman in the car next to us was simultaneously driving and watching a video on her phone. I'm sure this person thought she could multitask but her driving proved otherwise. She spent most of her time in the bike lane and looked like she wove a rug as she sped down the street. Needless to say I felt relief as she turned right while I continued straight.

Driving while you are playing with your phone is what is known as "distracted driving" and can result in citations and fines. The only problem is that the police have to catch you. Sure I could have followed the woman last night and called the police. Unfortunately that never works out very well. Eventually this person will cause an accident. It is not a question of "If" but "When."

Please don't drive and play with your phone at the same time. Last night nobody happened to be in the bike lane due to the late hour and cold weather. However I often use that bike lane on my daily rides and would hate to wind up being a hood ornament to a distracted driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment