Wednesday, October 17, 2018

International WiFi Calling

I had the pleasure of spending last week in Fiji with my wife on a nice vacation. While some people don't care about mobile phone charges when traveling internationally, it is something that concerns me. For this trip I tried something new and it worked very well.

When I boarded my flight in Los Angeles, I made sure to put my phone into airplane mode. Then I turned back on the WiFi. When I arrived at my hotel in Fiji, I just connected to the hotel's WiFi internet and could easily make calls home without worrying about any extra charges being added to my monthly bill.

Those that do a lot of international travel probably have a mobile plan that provides for inexpensive usage outside the United States. That is what I have with the phone provided by my company. As I rarely travel internationally for pleasure I don't have anything like that for my personal phone. That being said, I still probably only saved myself about $10 in extra charges using WiFi calling instead of just turning off airplane mode and using my phone normally. If you are like me and appreciate saving $10 then this is a good trick to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment