Friday, June 28, 2019

Friday Night Air Travel

In my last post, I talked about how my dad is resisting new guitar music notation. This evening I am resisting a usual change in my schedule. Normally I fly from the Bay Area home on Thursday evenings. This week I am flying home tonight (a Friday) because of meetings during the week. I needed to stick around until today and take the last possible flight home. My work obligations went well and I am glad I stuck around for today.

When I first started flying every week between Salt Lake and the Bay Area, I used to come out on Monday mornings and fly home on Friday nights. I also used to take this late Friday night flight. I did not like it but that was a choice I made for my career. After proving myself as a reliable employee, my company gave me the chance to work from home one day a week. I loved that change as it gave me more time at home with my family. I guess that means I don't always resist change.

So what is it about a change in technology that has us resisting it? I have to admit that I didn't immediately jump on the bandwagon when the original iPhone came out even though that change had the potential to make my life better. I think we would all have a tough time getting rid of our smartphones and going back to simple mobile phones. When I think about it, the increase in mobile phone costs could have been the reason. Perhaps that is a valid reason, perhaps not.

One change I am resisting right now relating to my mobile phone is getting a new one. Yes it is a pain to transfer all of my information from one phone to another, but realistically it shouldn't take that long. No, I actually have a number of problems with the new iPhone and it has me holding onto my old one even though it is memory constrained and should be upgraded. First is that I miss having a headphone jack. I have a set of wireless earphones that I love. I also carry a set of wired earbuds and I use them all the time. Wireless earphones don't have unlimited battery power and so the wired ones come in handy while batteries recharge.

I also don't like the form factor of the new phones. They are too large. My current iPhone is an SE and what I deem to be the perfect size. I have compared it with some of new choices from Apple and the smallest of the latest models are still much larger than my current one. I don't want a bigger one.

Finally I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new phone. It used to be that an expensive phone came in at around $300. Now that price has skyrocketed to around $1000. I once took my entire family to Disneyland for that price. I'd rather have the trip to Disneyland.

Perhaps I should look at a smartphone from another manufacturer. But then there is a technology change I have to deal with. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment