Thursday, January 23, 2020

Carefully Balancing Battery Power

Every week I participate in at least one emergency amateur radio (ham) net. My Sunday evening net usually includes a training item to help us keep our ham radio skills sharp. Our most common topic is making sure we keep radio batteries charged and always have spares. This comes up so much because someone will start talking and then drop off the air with the primary cause being a dead battery. The guilty party will sheepishly rejoin the group and admit to what we already knew: no power.

This evening I find myself nursing the battery life on one of my two mobile phones. I am at the airport waiting to catch my weekly flight from San Francisco to Salt Lake City. While taking the shuttle bus from my office to the airport, I have been listening to music on my phone. I used my work phone as it is the one paired with my wireless headphones.

For the flight home I plan to watch a movie. Once again I will be using my work phone as it has a larger screen than my personal phone. I just looked at my power meter and I am burning through my battery rather quickly. I decided to turn off my music to help conserve power so I have more than enough to watch a movie on the plane. On my flight there are USB port at each seat to charge electronic devices. Unfortunately I don't carry a charging cable with me for my work phone. I may just want to get a spare for this occasion. Then I won't have to work so carefully to balance battery power.

No comments:

Post a Comment