Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Website Updates Can Be Difficult

Recently Alta ski resort updated their website and I am having trouble learning how to navigate it. As it is ski season, I have a morning routine I follow even when I am in California and not planning to ski that day. When I am home in Utah, I get my breakfast and then sit down with a web browser to check Alta's website. I am looking for how much new snow they received overnight, what lifts will be running, and what the grooming looks like for the day. Next I pull up Snowbird's site as they have different information that helps give me an idea of what the ski conditions are like. Finally I pull up the Utah Avalanche Center site and carefully go through the morning's report.

I am looking for specific things in all 3 sites and I had a system. With Alta's website redesign, I find myself having to go to 3 different pages to get the same information I used to be able to get from 1. The changes have frustrated me over the past week. I do have to admit that the new site is much prettier though.

This evening I decided to do more than just look at Alta's website and play around with it. Guess what, they have a shortcut to a page that has all the information I want in a single place. In the top right corner of the home page is graphic with information about what the weather is currently doing. All I have to do is click on that and it takes me to a much more graphically pleasing version of my previous favorite page. Furthermore it has more information than before and that is helpful.

The point of this post is that we sometimes resist change instead of embracing it. While a website update can be difficult, sometimes all it takes is playing around with the site a bit and you may find you like it more than before. That is definitely the case with Alta's site and I have to say, "Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment