Tuesday, December 1, 2020

A Day to Celebrate

Yesterday my youngest son had an interview with an engineering firm. They liked him enough that today they gave him a verbal offer followed shortly by a written offer. Furthermore they will provide tuition reimbursement so he can continue working on his masters degree. It is a day to celebrate in our family.

Throughout the long process of constantly looking for a job, he has become discouraged even though he had a plan B and started working on an advanced engineering degree. In our society, our self-worth is often tied to our ability to earn a living and when we lose a job or can't seem to find one, we become depressed. I didn't realize the extent of this until a recent family vacation when I made a comment that upset my son. I said something along the lines of, "There are a lot of jobs out there, you just have to be willing to look for them." I hadn't realized my son was looking but still couldn't find one. I thought he was content to continue his schooling and allow his wife's nursing job to take care of the family expenses. Needless to say he wasn't.

Naturally I got a text about the offer from my son and immediately called to congratulate him. I know how much this means to him and his little family. Sure I wish the job was a bit closer than Ohio but his happiness eclipses my own convenience. Besides I have a ton of frequent flyer miles and have been making sure to see him at least once every month. This month he will fly home for the Holidays and we will be sure to celebrate.

For those that are still looking for jobs during this time of COVID-19 and uncertainty, my heart goes out to you. My son found this job with the help of his wife's-sister's-boyfriend's father. It just goes to show that you should leverage everyone in your social network in your job hunt. You never know where help will come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment